Sunday, May 17, 2009

Something's Gotta Give with Jack Nicholson and Diane Keaton

I didn't think that this movie would be worth commenting about, except that it put some ideas in my head that I want to remember.

I dreaded seeing this movie because from the cover on the DVD I could tell it would be a "romantic comedy" involving, old people....gross!!!!

It starts out with Jack Nicholson driving a convertible in the Hamptons. He is driving to the beach house of his girlfriend's mother for a weekend together. His girlfriend looks young, and is thirty years old. Jack Nicholson in this movie is 63 yrs. old.

Everyone was wondering why is she with this old man? She says something in the movie that was very telling. She is too afraid to get hurt, so she always chose the wrong man she didn't really want. That way if it didn't work out, she would not be upset or sad.

Later on in the movie, she was talking with her mother, who was crying a lot because of a breakup. The daughter didn't want to suffer like her mom ever, and wanted to be shielded from any possible pain from love. The mom said to her daughter, "What happened to me is not so bad, you can't run away from love." She also told the daughter, "You never really lived and enjoyed yourself have you?"

Another thing that struck me in this movie is a scene where Jack Nicholson was talking to the young girlfriend's mother. The mom says, "I researched you on the Internet too. You started your own business at 29, later you started a magazine. At 40 you sold your business and started a bunch of other businesses. This man tried a lot of different career paths and projects.

Seeing a movie where some of the main characters happen to be old is striking. It gives me perspective about life. I think that I could be more daring to try different career paths, but I am too afraid to try something, because it could be the wrong thing. I could find someone I really like too, but I am also afraid of love and relationships.

I learned from watching an icky movie about old people who fall in love. It's okay to get hurt, and to fail. It's best that you give love a try, and try different things. It's okay if it ends up not working out. Life is a trial and error thing. And it's not going to be so bad if you have to cry. Like the mother said.

No comments: