Sunday, May 17, 2009

The F-Factor Diet Discover the Secret to Permanent Weight Loss By Tanya Zuckerbrot, M.S., R.D.

I was at TJ Max and I found the F-Factor Diet book for only one dollar. It was cheap, so I bought it.

This book is written by a nutritionist who has a practice in New York and Miami. She said she talks to a lot of people who struggle with their weight. She hated seeing how they worked so hard, failed and then felt really terrible about themselves.

She said no wonder they fail. They are on impossible diets. No sugar, no carbs. No this or that. A diet is not something you can be on forever. That you would fail is inevitable. Imagine going the rest of your life without eating pasta, or bread, or ice cream or pizza?

Tanya, the author claimed that the amazing thing about this diet is that you have no food restrictions, you can eat anything. In this diet your objective is to add foods, and eat more. Not take things away. She said fiber is the secret ingredient you need to lose weight. Eat more fiber!

The sad thing is that when she gets past the introduction, and actually explains the diet, which has three stages; she gives a lot of restrictions and rules and crazy advice. For example, she says to buy GG crackers and eat 8 of them a day. Was she just saying in the intro, that a diet is bad, because it can't be a permanent lifestyle? I think that all of those weird rules and regimens are not necessary if you have the right attitude or intrinsic understanding with food.

I agree with the beginning of this book......which contradicts the middle of the book. I wish that this book stayed on course, and taught you how and why to eat in a healthful way. I wish it didn't turn into some crazy diet.

Fiber is filling, and has no calories. As long as you eat foods with fiber, you won't be hungry, and you will eat less. I have been trying to eat more fiber. And I find that to be true. I can eat a lot less, by just eating fiber. Fiber also really seems to curve my cravings for food too. I don't have to worry about restricting what I eat, as long as I eat fiber. Because fiber makes me have less cravings and hunger. I no longer feel a strange relationship with food. Or want to overeat, or eat a lot of crazy things. It has the ingredients to make me sane when it comes to food, so I don't have to worry about a strict diet anyway.

Because of my new relationship, I feel free! I don't have to have a neurosis about food. Thinking the enemy food product is just around the corner. The obsession and craziness that food can cause in me seems to go away with fiber. Fiber makes me feel mentally healthy about food. There is no more of a difficult or strained relationship with food.

It also helps foods that are the most healthy for you, plant based foods, that are not processed or industrialized, contain the most fiber. Like fruits, vegetables, and grains. Fiber is part of a healthful lifestyle.

What is truly sad however, is what I read on amazon.com about this book. From some people's reviews of this book, it seems that people are so desperate for a regimen over their food intake to control their weight, they turned this book into a stick diet. Any slight suggestion for improvement they took as one of the ten commandments. It was almost insane to read the reviews these people made. They really had a crazy relationship with food.

It's like they missed the whole point.....this book at least at the beginning, is to free you from a diet, a strange and complex, and hard to do regimen that is close to unattainable, unless you want to torture yourself for a long time. It is meant to teach you to just be healthy, and that fiber can help you do that. Fiber made me feel less crazy about food. It's a freeing thing.

I feel sorry for all the people out there that need to go to extreme lengths with very strict diets. They have an obsessed, unhealthy relationship with food. It's different from anorexia, or bulimia. It's like orthorexia. Which is deadly too. Orthorexia is less well known. It's when someone tries so hard to be healthy...they ironically end up killing themselves.

No comments: