Sunday, May 10, 2009

People Will Talk with Cary Grant

For me, Cary Grant is one of those names you have heard of, but have no clue as to who he is. I guess I am not an old movie buff. And I am not up on the names of old actors. Or new actors for that matter. I have not had the opportunity to watch that many old movies.

To tell the truth, when I see black and white, I get a little depressed. I'm like...oh, no! Not an old movie....how boring! I think that my mind is used to seeing faster paced bam! wham! It is actually a shame that my attention span is so terrible. It's like a four year old, or a gnat.

This old movie from 1951 was impressive for this reason. It broke through my gnat mentality. It was an old movie that didn't bore me, or have trouble keeping my attention. I was captivated as soon as I started watching it. It had no quick scene changes, and it was not fast paced, but it didn't need all that to hold a person's attention. The movie really held its own. (I was even willing to give up watching Matlock....which was on at the same time, to see this movie. That is saying something. And yes, I am embarrassed that I watch Matlock...and like it.)

I get the impression that this is not a well known old movie, even though Cary Grant is supposed to be famous. I heard it was a movie made before the second part of his successful career. I really recommend watching this movie because it was very interesting, and drew a person into it. I could go on about the plot...which was a little strange is some ways, however I am afraid this will get to be long.

What helped make the movie interesting was Cary Grant's performance. He has a great stage presence. Him, and the interaction of the female star opposite him, made for a performance that was fascinating and enjoyable to watch. Now that I think about it....this film may be classified as a "romantic comedy." I hate romance films, or chick flicks. I hate, or dislike old movies and chick flicks, but I like this movie. I guess that makes this film special.

This film is causing me to reevaluate my dislike for old movies and chick flicks. There may be some special films out there, I have yet to see.

No comments: