Sunday, May 16, 2010

Tyler Perry's Why did I get married too?

I only saw one other movie made by Tyler Perry called "I can do bad all by myself"--which I really enjoyed. It had a good message, and it was funny. I went into this movie thinking that this would be a comedy because of the other movie I saw. I also didn't realize this movie was a sequel. I was quickly corrected for thinking that this movie was a comedy--I was surprised by the seriousness of the movie and the realistic way the main characters interacted with each other.

It was about 4 married couples going on a retreat just for married people, so,they didn't take their children. They had a time share in the Bahamas. It showed the problems and trials of the four couples. In the beginning, you just get a superficial understanding of what's going on with them. You see a lot of pointless bickering and quaint mundane chatter, but as the movie progresses, a lot more depth and dirty laundry is exposed, unraveling many layers of their relationships.

Janet Jackson is one of the main characters in this movie. She announces on the retreat that she and her husband are getting a divorce. After the scenes in the Bahamas, they are back in Georgia, and things get very ugly. They fight horribly over money in the divorce. The character Janet plays goes to her husband's job to harass him. He leaves his job and gets in his car to get away from his wife. He is so distracted from his wife yelling and calling him names, that he gets into a bad accident with a truck. In the hospital, while they are in the waiting room, Janet says I don't care about the money, he can have all of it. It turns out that her husband didn't make it and ends up dying.

This was really striking to me. I know someone who might be divorcing and a part of me is angry at her husband, and almost feels like she should go out for the kill in the divorce settlement. Part of me felt like starting World War 3, because I was upset at a lot of things the husband did. This movie was a good movie for me to watch given the way I was feeling. It's better to not get the war paint on.

No comments: