Sunday, May 30, 2010

Love Destroys the Beast

I recently watched an old Disney Classic, Beauty and the Beast. As a child, this was one of my favorite Disney movies. Watching it again as an adult brought on new perspectives for me.

The end of the movie, where the beast is transformed into a human was a glorious moment for me, and it made me cry. This scene didn't have this kind of affect on me as a child. It was love that caused the spell to be broken, so this beast could turn back into a human.

When I saw him transform, I was reminded of the Resurrection. Our corruptible bodies will become incorruptible. Through the atonement of Jesus Christ, we can become transformed into glorious beings. And just like love got rid of the beast in the movie, love can transform us, to get rid of our inner beasts.

A person would have no trouble keeping the commandments of God if they had love and charity. In the Bible, when someone asked Jesus what the most important commandment was, he said to love God with all your mind might and strength,and to love your neighbor as yourself. This is where all the law and the commandments hang.

When I saw the beast in the movie turn into a glorious human, I found myself hoping and wishing that I can be reborn with my inner beast removed when I die and return to God. I know that love is the way all beasts can be removed. Seeing that scene in the movie really hit me very hard.

No comments: