Monday, October 20, 2008

Christmas at Thompson Hall by Anthony Trollope

I am currently reading Pearl S. Buck's the book of Christmas. The first story in that book is Christmas at Thompson Hall. When I started reading it, I thought I would not like the story at all. It was written around a hundred years ago by a stuffy sounding brit. But, as I read on, I found the short story to be full of zest and humor. It was really well written with expert care and thoroughness. The plot was a little silly, but it made a lot of sense and was plausible. I think that it is a good short story to read. I would like to read more stuff by Anthony Trollope in the future, just because I like his writing style. When he was talking about the thought process and feelings, of the main character, it was with so much care, that it was as detailed as my own thought process from real life, but done in such way that presented a lot of humor as to not be boring. Overall, I give it an A+. It is interesting to me, but the plot was really relevant to things that are going on in my life now, so I could relate. Reading it made me feel better about my situation.

1 comment:

Kilian said...

You have good taste. It is that ability to get into the minds and understand and communicate the thoughts and feelings with compassion and humor that endears Anthony Trollope to his many readers. Ifl you would like to explore his many novels, I would recommend The Eustace Diamonds, the Small House at Allington or my personal favorite The Way We Live now.