Saturday, August 28, 2010

Anne of Green Gables

This book was written a hundred years ago by a Canadian Author from Prince Edward Island. By some strange coincidence, it takes place in Prince Edward Island too. Though it was so long ago, and in a different time and place, I felt that this book was very easy to relate to and understand. It makes me think that we barely changed in the last hundred years. In some ways that is actually a good thing.

I never liked a book so quickly as I did this one. After the first page or so, I was really was impressed. The way L.M. Montgomery writes is hard to explain, but it really shows the story from a good vantage point and from a witty and smart frame of reference.

I liked the book a lot better in the beginning when Anne was a very silly, fun, colorful character. Reading a book full of her thoughts and her sayings is perfect for putting someone in a good mood because she is so positive and really enjoys the little things in life.

Towards the end of the book, it had some good plot twists and turns, and I was surprised by how it turned out, however, it became more of a summary, lacking the life it used to have, and the main character was not as entertaining as before. Anne became more mature, in the beginning she was 11 years old, and at the end of the book she was 16 years old. For most of the book, she was 11 and 12, then towards the end it just did a quick overview of her older years.

She became less imaginative, less talkative, and more serious, competitive and sober. I didn't see the passion and life in the older Anne like in the younger Anne. I supposed it was a good thing she grew up some.

Though I'm not as happy with the end of the book as the beginning, I am very curious to read the next book from the 6 book series, Anne of Avonlea.

No comments: