Sunday, March 29, 2009

The Secret of the Villa Mimosa by Elizabeth Adler

I was at the library, and it was going to close in 5 minutes. I didn't have much time to pick out a book. I was in the mood for a Matlock like mystery. I ran looking for the mystery section, like what the other library had, but I didn't see a section marked mystery. I just grabbed this book off the shelf without thinking. I was in a rush.

I did a good job appeasing my Matlock mystery mood because this book was a bit like Matlock. Okay, Matlock is not the best show, and I am embarrassed to admit to liking it. What I like about Matlock however, is the humanity in it. The main characters have a personality, and when a murder takes place you get to know a lot about the victim and all the people he knew from their life. I get glimpses of people's lives and humanity. The modern shows on TV have no humanity or personality.

On the show CSI, they call the person murdered "vic." You don't even get to find out victim's name. They are "vic."You find out nothing about the person, and his life, or the people in his life. The main characters have the personality of a robot. You could replace the cast of some shows with data from Star Trek and no one would notice. I like Matlock because I miss humanity. So sue me.

What is bad about Matlock is that it can be predictable, rehearsed, and the plot is always contrived for everything to work out. The person Matlock defends is always innocent, and they always prove him so, just in the nick of time, by some silly unlikely clue.

This book was just like Matlock. It had a lot of humanity in it, and I was really into the main characters. I was really disappointed with the book, though. It was extremely predictable. I knew what was going to happen early on. It was also really unrealistic to the point of being annoying. It had too many contrived plot points. It worked out like a silly fairy tale. I am not five years old. It insulted my intelligence. The book had too many coincidences, that was off the wall ridiculous.

This book is written by a very cultured person. She has lived in England, Ireland, France, Brazil, etc. The main characters in the book were rich and beautiful, and ate fancy food at fancy places. Because the book was so insulting to my intelligence, it somehow felt cheap. But, there was so much culture in the book. In the end, reading this book feels like going to a very fancy restaurant and eating a hot dog.

Despite a part of me believing this book was not worth my time, I did enjoy the characters in this book and their personal stories. It satisfied my urge for he human filled mystery that I was searching for. It was just like Matlock.

If there was a moral to garner from reading this book, it was this: Don't fall for someone because they are hot, or good looking, or rich. They could be a sick evil bastard. Don't be taken in by their charm. Be on the lookout.

No comments: