Sunday, August 9, 2009

Harry Potter and The Half Blood Prince

I am not into Harry Potter, I never read any of the books, and I only recall watching 2 Harry Potter movies. I hated the first Harry Potter movie a lot. Every scene was like this: I'm Harry Potter, look at me. I'm so amazing! Harry Potter here to save the day, again. I remember liking the second movie though.

This Harry Potter movie named the Half Blood Prince, was boring in the beginning. It had a lot of disconnected scenes that didn't go together, and it had no plot. It was just random scene after random scene, showing I don't know what. I didn't even understand it.

But, after all the kiddies arrived back at Hogsworth or whatever that school they attend is called, the movie got much better. I started to find it easy to follow, understandable, cute, and interesting. The acting and characters are kind of charming. The plot kept me curious and interested and the movie didn't drag that much. It had a main plot that was dark and mysterious, going into deep secrets and dark magic. Then, there were cute side plots that were fun and whimsical. The movie had layers, and a lot of personality and detail.

For me, once I got past the dull, disconnected dragging beginning part, it was an entertaining movie to watch. I didn't like the way the atmosphere looked in the movie a lot of the time. I wish they made things look differently, but I guess that is part of the character and charm of The Harry Potter movies so I shouldn't complain.

Another thing I found off putting is that Harry Potter had no trouble getting girls to like him. The were throwing themselves at him in this movie. Come on! Harry Potter and his friends seem dorky. The movie puts up this pretence that girls dig him because Harry Potter is famous and he is well known and respected for his wizardry, and because he is the "chosen one." Even if that were the case, in real life, being known as the chosen one, or an exceptional wizard, would most likely make people afraid of you, not o so popular with the ladies. There was someone in my high school that claimed to be a witch, and people would be afraid of her, and avoid her. Okay, I know it must be different if you are attending a school for witches, but if you are known for being exceptional at magic, then the other witches will become afraid of you. Because you are the different one. And Harry Potter is not hot, and he looks dorky, and acts dorky.

So, in summary, the Harry Potter series likes to portray Harry Potter as an all star. Wonderful wizard that saves the day, and is popular, and a hunk for the ladies, and that just doesn't jive with me. He and his crew, doesn't seem like the popular winner types, and I just explained an extra reason why he wouldn't be popular, and why his peers would shun him. I mean, when I watched this movie, seeing all those women crawling over Harry was just so creepy and not even realistic. They did portray Harry as a great Winner all star, self important go getter, but it was muted more than in the first Harry Potter Movie so it didn't get on my nerves.

Other than those complaints, it was a decent movie.

No comments: